August 12, 2010

Fact #32: No, seriously, I'm smart AND funny! Also, creative and talented. Plus, modest.

I'm working on my grad school applications, and yesterday I finally sucked it up and tackled my Statement of Purpose. I hate writing those things. I agonize over them.

My first draft is always horrible. Lots of generic statements about how I'm passionate about 'blah blah' and feel inspired by 'yak yak'. Then I rip that draft to shreds, burn the shreds, and flush the ashes down the toilet.

My second draft (the one I'm currently working on), is a little better. By this point I've calmed down my inner grandiose poet and am writing more honestly, more like me. But it's hard! There's so much to say in so little space. And I want to say it right.

Actually, what I want to say is, "Don't make me write this! Can't we just go for a beer and talk? I've got so much to tell you!"

But I guess the next best thing is to try to make my final draft the paper equivalent of that. Like a good conversation over a good beer.


Til tomorrow!

No comments: