October 6, 2010

Fact #87: To Do

I love lists. Shopping lists, top ten lists, wishlists. All kinds of lists, really. But especially to-do lists.

Mmm, I love a good to-do list.

I write myself a to-do list just about every day. I cross things off the list as I do them. Sometimes I add new things in the middle of the day. Sometimes I write down something I just did, even though it wasn't on the list, just so I can cross it off.

Here are the top 5 reasons I like to-do lists:
1) They help me remember stuff -- my brain really doesn't like to carry around too much information at one time. Honestly, the less I have to keep up there, the better.

2) They keep me productive -- if I write down exactly what I'm supposed to get done today, I'm a lot more likely to do it. And since a lot of my work is as an independent contractor, self-motivation is key. Sometimes I have it, sometimes I don't. But my trusty to-do lists are always there for me.


3) They keep me positive -- even if I don't get to everything on the list, at the end of the day I can look back and see all the stuff I did get done. And that makes me feel better.


4) They help me relax -- since I don't work a regular 9-5 job, it's really easy to blur the line between work time and time off. It's easy to get sucked back in, because there's always more I could do. But crossing the last item off my to-do list is like a free pass to playtime!


5) They're everywhere -- my life is haunted by the shreds and scraps of old to-do lists. I find them in the bottoms of purses, in pants pockets worn from the washer, as bookmarks in half-finished books. And they usually make me laugh. I write some really random things on my to-do lists.

Til tomorrow!

2 comments:

Rick said...

Oh man, I could have written this one! But I never really analyzed why I like to do them so your top 5 reasons was good to read too. I think your number one reason is my biggie. Writing stuff down helps remember it. And there really is a crazy pleasure in scratching things off the list!

Pinolera said...

Just crossed "read laurel's blog" off my list of things to do today :)