January 9, 2011

Fact #182: Punch. Lucy Punch.

As a lady who is an actor, I'll admit that sometimes I'm a harsh judge of other ladies who are actors.

I can watch a male actor and think, "Wow, what a great performance." But watching a woman playing a part that (ostensibly) I could also play, there's an impulse sometimes to think, "Meh, I could do better."

I'm not proud of that, but those are the facts of life.

But the upside is, when I watch an actress whose performance just blows me away, I know she must be really super-duper amazing because her awesomeness has overwhelmed my natural bitchy instincts. Instead of thinking, "Oh, she was all right... I guess," I think, "Holy crap, I wanna be like her!!!"

That's the reaction I had when I watched Dinner for Schmucks the other night. Lucy Punch, a British actress who plays Paul Rudd's stalker, pretty much walked away with every scene she was in.


She was so outrageous and honest and committed and funny and fearless. It was so fun to watch her. The only other thing I've seen her in is Hot Fuzz, but I hope she gets lots more work because she totally deserves it.

Also, her name is Lucy Punch, which is awesome.


Til tomorrow!

No comments: