August 21, 2010

Fact #41: My grasp on geography is beginning to worry me. Also, I'm going to Canada.

I don't know where I think I've been living, but I've been way, way off in my estimations of Pittsburgh's approximate distance from other cities.
Maybe it's because growing up in Colorado, everything on the East coast seemed so far away from where I was. So I started thinking of it all as one big "East coast clump," where no place took longer than a few hours to reach from any other place.

Now that I live in Pennsylvania, I feel like I should be part of that East coast clump. But the way Pittsburgh sits so far west -- in what turns out to be a very long state -- puts it in a weird sort of no-man's-land.

Anyway, between those two factors, I have seriously miss-estimated how long it would take me to get to a variety of places.

For example, it's hard for my brain to grasp that it would take me less time to drive to Washington, DC than to Philadelphia. But. . .I don't underst. . .Philadelphia's in the same state as. . .wha. . ???

And, despite having been told this a few times before, I finally actually really realized that I'm only 4 hours away from Niagara Falls! And 5 1/2 hours away from Toronto! WHAT??? I'm so totally going, ey!


Til tomorrow.

2 comments:

Q Schroe said...

Do it! Canadia is awesome. :)

Rick said...

So much to see, so little time...