November 13, 2010

Fact #125: Acting and Massaging

One of the cool things about working as a massage therapist is that is that it's generally a very calm work environment. Sure, sometimes it gets a little hectic on a busy day at the spa, but the whole point is always to create a relaxing atmosphere.

When I'm working on a client, I'll talk if they're chatty, but I never start the conversation. I'd rather let them focus on themselves than worry about making chitchat with me.

As a result, I spend a lot of time working in a dark, quiet room. It's very zen-like.

I always try to tune into my clients, feeling out and working with the muscles -- but I've been doing this for long enough now that a lot of that stuff has become second nature. So while part of my brain is focused on the massage, the other part just sort of drifts. Almost like a meditation.

If I'm working on a show, I might run lines in my head while I work. (But the funny thing is, because it is so meditative, I'll sometimes accidentally get stuck on one line, repeating it over and over like a mantra.) Or my thoughts might settle on a scene or a beat from the show, turning it over and over, rolling it around in my head like a marble.

It's pretty cool the stuff that my brain does when it's in that mode. I mean, sometimes I just think about puppies. Or what I ate for lunch. Or how annoying it is when people misuse idioms. (It is!!!!!) But I've gotten some of my best ideas in a dark, quiet room.


Til tomorrow!

No comments: