November 18, 2010

Fact #130: No, DO sweat the small stuff

You know that book, Don't Sweat the Small Stuff?

Well, I'm thinking about writing a spin-off book called, DO Sweat the Small Stuff.

I totally understand the concept of letting go of the things that don't matter. Not getting sucked into a vortex of anger for the rest of the day just because some jerk stole your parking space, not flipping out about some useless object getting broken. . . I get that.

I'd argue, though, that sometimes the little things are worth worrying about, caring about, getting drawn into. If I 'don't sweat the small stuff', I feel like it's a slippery slope to not sweating at all. (Okay, maybe 'sweat' is the wrong word. My whole goal in life is to sweat less. I have an extra strong antiperspirant for just that exact purpose.)

But if you don't sweat the small stuff, can you still savor it? I think I'm okay with worrying about ridiculous little things sometimes -- so long as I also get to be overjoyed and surprised and amazed by other ridiculous little things.

For example, I was on my way to an early rehearsal the other day and looked up to see this.


(That's actually the exact building I was headed to, but it still took me by surprise. It was just stunning, rising out of the fog.)

So I stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and took a picture of it. It was a little thing, but it made my day.


Til tomorrow!

No comments: