September 15, 2010

Fact #66: And then the pink giraffes started playing banjos...

Last night I had a dream that I was heading to a rehearsal with an actor friend of mine from Chicago. We checked in and then went behind a curtain into a huge empty room to rehearse. But as soon as we started, I realized I didn't know any of my lines or blocking, or even what character I was playing or what play it was (I think it had something to do with the Bush family though.. weird).

In the middle of the scene, everyone suddenly turned to me and I knew it was my line. But when I looked down at my script, the words were all jumbled. So I said some complete nonsense and the scene went on. I kept staring at my script trying to prepare for my next line, but whenever I had to speak, it came out all wrong.

I don't think I've ever had one of those 'Showing Up to Work Naked' dreams. But I've had the 'Forgetting All My Lines' dream quite a few times. Maybe it's the actor equivalent. I guess I should be glad I'm not dreaming that I forgot all my lines and my pants.

I like dreams, though. Even (especially?) the weird ones. They're crazy! They're funny! They're scary! They're free entertainment! Maybe they're trying to tell me something! Or maybe not!

I kind of love that no one, not even science, can say exactly why we dream. Just that everyone does it, and that it's probably important somehow. Wow, thanks science.

But it really is amazing. I've had epic adventures in dreams, fought vampires and gremlins, seen beautiful places, made up hilarious jokes (which, to be fair, made no sense when I remembered them later), flown, floated, walked up walls, grown super tall, had long conversations with friends I barely remember, met new friends who turned out to be old friends, developed incredible superpowers, and occasionally woken myself up by screaming, crying, or laughing.

Sometimes at night, as I'm drifting off to sleep, I like to put in a special request to the Dream Command Center for a specific topic or theme. Most of the time they ignore me. But sometimes they give me exactly what I asked for: pink giraffes playing banjos.


Til tomorrow!

No comments: